Sunday, March 13, 2016

May a rainbow run beside you in a sky that's always blue

“May flowers always line your path and sunshine light your day.

May songbirds serenade you every step along the way.

May a rainbow run beside you in a sky that’s always blue.

And may happiness fill your heart each day your whole life through.”

~ Irish Blessing


Watching the Philadelphia St. Patrick's Day parade today, and there was a float honoring the Irish Memorial.  These pictures were taken on our visit to see the Pope.  When we got off the ferry and went up the hill this is where we stopped to look at the Memorial.  I was intrigued at first sight.  I first loved how when taking the picture, it was fascinating how the outreached hand could play with the sunlight.  

So, it reminded me to look up the artist today.  I was fascinated.  So very happy it is a woman artist.
It is actually a Memorial depicting the potato famine in Ireland which brought so many emigrants to the United States, many of which came to Philadelphia.  So, when I found out the name of the Artist I have spent a lot of the day reading about her.  Very fascinating and I am in awe of her!  Her name is Glenna Goodacre (what a great name for a public sculptor).  If you would like to read more about her, you can follow the link here.  I loved that she also designed the Sacajewa dollar coin.  She has one daughter and she is married to Harry Connick Jr.    Very glad I was able to revisit this Memorial through the internet and hope you were inspired too.  Love the line on the memorial also:  to celebrate what survives-without apology or fear.  All, so great for an inspirational St. Patrick's day in 2016!   May you have a happy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Turning 60 is all About Perception

   It is 2019 and it is ten years since I started blogging.  I still feel the need from time to time to get everything out of my head on t...