Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter April Fools Reflections

I never really had a chance to write last year after visiting so many artful destinations.  This is the dining room of the Florence Griswold Museum in Connecticut.  I visited with my two nieces and nephew.  He really enjoyed the scavenger hunt.  I was paying attention to any pictures of women artists and subject matter.  I LOVED the dining room and I am using it as an example of what I think Easter is.  I think Easter is about the resurrection of Christ.  But, I also think it is about how light shines.  I think we have inner lights and it comes out in all different ways.  I think our light shines brightest as being a good daughter, son or as a loving parent.  It is effortless and comes naturally.  For example, a baby shines effortlessly and beautifully.  A baby shines new life!  The panels in the dark dining room were painted by the Artist's who stayed at Florence Griswold's house.  As we exited I quickly asked the volunteer if there was any special lighting on the panels and she said no....the light is from the painting.  Wow!  I love how the brightness of these panels showed through the photo as well.

 I quickly took a picture of this woman painting.  Notice her feminine dress, yet she is wearing a man's tie.
 Loved this painting as it really reflected a scene of a Victorian household.
It was so beautiful to walk the gardens and then see how they were painted more then a hundred years ago.
March is Women's History Month.  So, I always try to learn something about a Woman painter that I didn't know about before.  I remember during the visit hearing the name Woodrow Wilson many times.  But, during the last week of March Florence Griswold Museum's Facebook page featured Ellen Wilson the wife of Woodrow Wilson.  I have been spending all morning reading about her and am totally fascinated by her story and her beautiful paintings.   I knew nothing about her until a few days ago.  I have been spending this Easter morning reflecting and really enjoying and actually relating to her in different ways.  If you want to read more about Ellen Wilson click here.
At this time in my life I am enjoying waking up in the morning and putting a paint brush in my hand. This morning I went to paint and I was on my last piece of paper.  I have been using paper I had purchased more then twenty five years ago.  I think, what am I going to do with these anyway?  I decided all the paintings I did in March I am going to cut into butterflies and use them in the store window when we move to Spring Lake.  Butterflies are free to fly......and so am I!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Turning 60 is all About Perception

   It is 2019 and it is ten years since I started blogging.  I still feel the need from time to time to get everything out of my head on t...